LOS ANGELES, April 01, 2013 – Yes, there are stunning pictorials and captivating articles. But the new Playboy for iPhone is so much more. The app is the digital purveyor of the bespoke Playboy lifestyle for the ultimate urbane guy, featuring cutting-edge content and insight into travel, clothes, food, cars, girls and beyond.
“As the on-the-go extension of the Playboy brand, our new app brings the best of Playboy with original, thought-provoking and enticing bite-sized content that captures our design-driven and discernible style,” commented Scott Flanders, CEO of Playboy Enterprises. “We’ve rebuilt Playboy for iPhone from the ground up to attract the new generation of Gen Y fans who enjoy the indulgences of the artisanal good life and modern culture.”
iPhone users across the globe can enjoy the new app, now found in the App Store for free download. The app is the haute spot for provocative, original app-only content, as well as material selectively chosen from the current issue of the magazine. To unlock such exclusive content, Playboy fans have the option of subscribing monthly, bi-annually or annually to the app.
The opening video of the app will star Miss February 2011, Kylie Johnson and also includes a smoldering pictorial of Johnson. The Good Life’s Food section of the app debuts with a conversation with Chef Eddie Huang, owner of BaoHaus restaurant in New York’s East Village and author of the new memoir, “Fresh Off the Boat.” Under Drink, Jeffrey Morgenthaler, bar manager at Clyde Common in Portland, mixes up the classic Easter Day cocktail – the Ramos Gin Fizz. Paint Your Wagon throws auto enthusiasts for a curve ball with the exploration of the resurgence of the station wagon’s popularity in Cars. Lena Dunham, creator and star of HBO comedy “Girls,” doesn’t hold back in Playboy’s 20 Questions found in The Articles. For Girls, Miss November 2004, Cara Zavaleta, makes a striking appearance in Playmate Redux and director/photographer Michael Bernard defines contemporary beauty with an exquisite pictorial of model Rosie O’Lasky for God Given Gorgeous.
“We’re taking everything that has made Playboy great and re-imagining it for the iPhone, while reinventing our aesthetic with exclusive pictorials and a beautiful, image-heavy navigation. It truly is Playboy 2.0,” noted Josh Schollmeyer, Playboy’s Director of Digital Content.
App features include:
– Opening Video – A video starring notable Playmates serves as a prelude to the ultimate lifestyle manual found in-app.
– The Good Life – Essential tips on how to navigate your surroundings with style.
– Travel, Food, Drink, Cars, Gear and Style for the thoroughly modern man.
– The Articles – Choice cuts from the current issue of Playboy magazine.
– Interview – The iconic, in-depth Playboy Interview.
– 20 Questions – A shorter, lighter “20Q” tête-à-tête.
– Feature – Contemporary long-form non-fiction pieces.
– Forum – Opinion and argument on political and social developments.
– Fiction – Attention-grabbing literary selections.
– Girls – Exclusive pictorials of breathtaking beauties… because you’ve already read the articles.
– Playmate Redux – Top Playmates make a stunning return engagement.
– God Given Gorgeous – Renowned photographers paired with women who define a new standard of beauty.
– Miss Social – Winners of Playboy’s online competition with a devoted social media following.
– The Vault – Bookmark favorite content, such as photos or articles, for future viewing.
– My bookmarks for saved content; Library for previous months and special collections of bundled content and pictorials; Downloads for your downloaded content; and Subscribe to manage your subscription.
The three subscription options offered to consumers include: a recurring monthly subscription for $1.99, a recurring six-month subscription for $10.99 and a recurring yearly subscription for $19.99.
Timed to the official launch of Playboy for iPhone, Playboy is kicking off a transmedia marketing campaign to promote the app. Playboy has created a NYC taxi cab spot, running from April 1st to April 7th, to reach passengers in a captive setting. Tapping into its savvy social fan-base, social media efforts are underway via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, YouTube, Pinterest and Viddy, highlighting video, visuals and other behind-the-scenes assets. Playboy for iPhone will also be promoted in Playboy magazine, and other online and mobile channels.
Playboy for iPhone is among the suite of new initiatives being developed by the Company’s media group, including the curated release of 50 of Playboy’s best interviews in ‘50 Years of the Playboy Interview’ for Amazon’s Kindle Store and the introduction of a fashion collaboration with designers Cushnie et Ochs for a limited edition collection available on PlayboyStore.com.