BEVERLY HILLS, CA – December 13, 2016 – In a nod to its 63-year history, PLAYBOY reintroduces its beloved character Mr. Playboy for the cover of its January/February 2017 double issue. Mr. Playboy has graced numerous covers in the brand’s history and most notably, almost every January issue from 1954 to 1977 featuring the “Playmate Review”. For the first magazine cover of 2017, PLAYBOY recreated one of Hef’s favorite covers (January 1968), updated with select photos of the 2016 Playmates. As one of the most popular images from the World of Playboy, this won’t be the last you see of Mr. Playboy!
The January/February issue of PLAYBOY celebrates the 12 beauties who appeared in the magazine pages this year in its annual 2016 Playmate Review. 2016 Playmate of the Year Eugena Washington will hand over the title to her successor in May after readers cast their vote at playboy.com/pmoy2017.
Other highlights from the new issue includes an interview with Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey who chronicles the evolution of “The McConaissance”. McConaughey’s story-telling in an 8-page interview reveals details about his childhood and wildly rebellious father who ultimately inspired McConaughey’s role in Gold, his upcoming crime adventure film with its first release on December 25. From sex, smoking marijuana, being under his wife’s spell of true love, and having been introduced to beautiful women by reading PLAYBOY as a young boy, McConaughey proves he’s the Paul Newman of the new generation.
Prepare to be pleasantly entertained with the first issue of PLAYBOY 2017 with highlights including:
- Miss January, Bridget Malcolm: ring in the New Year with the Australian beauty who shares a lighthearted and celebratory spread.
- Miss February, Joy Corrigan: the sweetheart who grew up on a small farm in North Carolina who’s now an international supermodel residing in LA.
- 20Q with Fred Armisen: the actor of many faces from SNL, Portlandia and Documentary Now! gives a glimpse into his past life and opens up about love.
- No Filter with Lola Kirke: the 26-year-old actress from Amazon’s Mozart in the Jungle on finding her voice and her own personal brand.
- My Way: streetwear icon Bobby Hundreds isn’t slowing down anytime soon as he discusses his poke restaurant, unisex clothing line and more.
- Artist in Residence: recording artist Macklemore introduces artwork by Lawrence “Naturel” Atoigue.
- Fiction: two literature installments featuring Robert Kirn’s Finishing, a tale of robots, sex and ice cream, and Jon Raymond’s Visiting Violence, a story about a seal questioning his lifelong convictions.
- Francofile: James Franco interviews Coach Creative Director Stuart Vevers on the evolution of his sense of style.
- Playboy Advisor: monthly advice columnist Bridget Phetasy explains how you know when you’re officially official.
- Pictorials: Australian model Gabby Brooks in a spread called “Spectrum”, Kyra Santoro in “After Midnight” and Miss October 2014 Roxannna June’s Grecian photo diary.
- Additional content includes: Underboob: A Cultural History, navigating Houston during Super Bowl weekend, a look into the CIA’s Secret Art Collection and Wiped Out, how crystal meth nearly sank the surf community.
# # #
About Playboy Enterprises, Inc.
Playboy is one of the most recognized and popular consumer brands in the world. Playboy Enterprises, Inc. is a media and lifestyle company that markets the brand through a wide range of media properties and licensing initiatives. The company publishes Playboy magazine in the United States and licenses foreign editions of Playboy around the world; operates Playboy.com, a leading men’s lifestyle and entertainment site; and creates content for distribution via television networks, websites, mobile platforms and radio. Through licensing agreements, the Playboy brand appears on a wide range of consumer products in more than 180 countries, as well as retail stores and entertainment venues. For more information about Playboy Enterprises, please visit www.PlayboyEnterprises.com.